Inclusive Teaching and Learning: Faith #1

Religion, Belief and Faith identities UAL website 
http://religiousliteracy.myblog.arts.ac.uk/ and answer the questions. 
#

How could you apply the resources to your own teaching practice?

First of all the look and feel of the UAL website comes across as sterile and basic. This suggests to me that UAL are simply answering to the standardised ‘Government’ requirements in order to climb up in the ranking of universities. Disappointingly there are only four entries in the students and alumni section. There is a missed opportunity for more student involvement to this area of the site.

The case studies are useful tools for lecturers to share their practice and ideas that can be considered and adopted by others. It also reassures my own teaching practice where I identify with similar approaches and am inspired by their ideas.

I would introduce a short taster project brief as a form of an induction and introduction to social awareness that incorporates understanding and respect for one another’s religion or non-religion. They would include articles from the resource section of the site. For example Shades of Noir Race, Religion & Free Speech.

The Quiet Capsule Design Project I found to be an interesting way to provide a shared and public space beneficial to all.
This could be referenced to students for either when starting a project that or incorporate into an existing one.

The links from the resources page has some useful links and materials that can be used within lesson and incorporated into a scheme of work within the curriculum. Taking students to relevant exhibitions and events.

How could you integrate the research/work your students do on this subject into your teaching/professional practice?

There are vast places and iconography within the architecture and public spaces in and around London that students can explore and record. A purpose visit for visual recording and religious history. Recently some Mosques have been made listed buildings.

Invite artists and designers of a practicing faith to either give talks or run a workshop the students.  Set a project brief that involves students to work directly with the community. To therefore set a community project focused within one or more or the many areas in London that exudes a rich and diverse mixtures of religious cultures. Direct community involvement would be good to share narratives and language to be able to articulate and broaden understanding of equality and justice.

To find commonalities and a shared identity provided through a brief that deploys ‘a sense of purpose rather than self-interest’ (Cahourn 2014).

Students would be encouraged to explore within diverse communities the public space and the influences and contribution religion has within these spaces. A practical example would be engage students in open dialogue to talk about the artefacts that I bring and the purpose of the lesson and allowing the students to identify with the topic or subject matter.

Can you cIte examples? 
You will share your thoughts within your groups and comment and share further resources you use in your own context.

Encouraged to point out the diverse mix of religious and cultural iconography in around London.

Black influential speaker on faith and education:
Dr Constantino Dumangane Jr. Dumangane,

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/people/view/577479-dumangane-constantino-jr

(2017). The significance of faith for Black men’s educational aspirations. British Educational Research Journal (accepted and forthcoming in 2017).

2 Replies to “Inclusive Teaching and Learning: Faith #1”

1. I definitely agree with you on the UAL website being very basic and published to tick all the boxes only. I also found the website “uncreative” as I always expect more creativity from an Art Institution. You have listed some great resources! Dr Constantino Dumangane Jr. (third link) will be someone I could use for my own teaching practice. Thank you!