Micro teach

Object based learning as a good way to engage students with the subject they are learning. By handling an object can engage students with the sensory experiences and connection with the object. My experience in teaching art and design d in particularly with special educational needs students has been profoundly beneficial to introduce objects that the students can handle and document. I have personally found that use of an object within learning and teaching can help the student to remember the learning experience which can assist in future development of their own outcomes.

Reading Helen Chatterjee Object-based learning in higher education: The pedagogical power of museums I found text that supports and confirms my findings:

‘object-handling has a long-lasting effect and relationship with memory,
more so than text-based learning often has’ (Romanek and Lynch
2008, p.284).

In addition to the above quote, object-based learning can actually assist with using text based learning exercises by that I mean the use of objects to help the student access their writing.

The micro teach was really an interesting morning and day of teaching and learning and participating in the lessons of the micro teach everyone had something different to share.

Thing I found beneficial about the micro teach lessons and also interesting what’s that we were in a position of the students participating within the micro teach therefore was able to consider from the other side of being a student. Therefore to consider what they may be going through an experience in within that lesson.

Object based learning in higher education draws on many of the
learning strategies already known to inform students, including
active learning and experiential learning.
Helen Chatterjee, (2015)

This was the case within the micro teach where various learning and teaching strategies were brought to the table.

It was interesting to see the different teaching styles that was literally brought to the table. I also found interesting the different ways in order to engage students the important thing was to maybe get student starting straight away into action I’ve learnt this from my own teaching experience at secondary that having a starter activity to get into straight away or engaged students. I have started of my micro teach in a similar vein. By having participants start by drawing their lips but deliberately I made with no suggestion of why. This was to come later.

What the micro teach lessons had in common ways to involve student discussion through the use of the object, therefore to assess learning and ideas methods of gathering and huddle review and discuss the progress of learning and learning outcomes by peer and tutor feedback. This helps to bring equity into a lesson and a great opportunity to stretch students into thinking critically. To engage students  with themselves and their ideas as well as engaging of current themes such as sustainability, social justice, politics. An example of this as in the below image from the micro teach session. In this particular micro teach we were to consider the sustainability. Looking at what we do with the clothes that we wear and discard and those that we keep for a long period of time.

Another example from micro teach is where objects a right yet can be used to encourage imaginative storytelling. 

Then also used to provide historical artefacts that relates to the traditional as well as contemporary.

Show presentation slides are also useful they can be structured to fall in line with the lesson delivery for instance having a question at the start or starter then the task then some references for the main and a slide for the plenary therefore a presentation example resources which is something to go to students along and also use for the teacher to keeping alignment to the lesson plan.

I had planned my own micro-teaching that way. I wanted to draw people in from starter activity to then discuss aspects of their own identity shared within the group.

I actually had an image of the object as well as examples of final outcomes that I showed towards the end.

What I have learnt from this exercise through my delivery is that next time I would used the actual object (ceramic lip cast) rather than a photograph and perhaps not have the examples is as I wish the students to recreate their own outcomes without any influences set by the example.

Micro teach was about the invisibility of black female artists designers and the importance of their voices being heard. Therefore I left the group with a poem by Maya Angeleou ‘Phenomenal Woman’

References:

Chatterjee, H. and Hannan, L. (2016). Engaging the Senses. Florence: Taylor and Francis.

Chatterjee, H. Object Based Learning in Higher Education

Hardie, K (2015). Innovative pedagogies series: Wow: The power of objects in
object-based learning and teaching . Available at: http://www.heacademy.ac.uk

3 Replies to “Micro teach”

1. Hi Sharon
    I also found it interesting to see varied teaching styles brought to the table, and also seeing how different activities can really set the tone in the classroom. In some cases the objects prompted discussion, and in other cases they were integral to the task.
    Gabrielle

1. Hi Gabrielle,

Thank you for your comment. Yes I agree it was really good to see how the activities were connected to ones teaching style.
      Everyone had brought a great value to their micro teach that can be adopted within our own. It was great to be part of an exciting teaching adventure.

Sharon

2. Hi Sharon,

I too found the micro teach interesting to see and be part of.
    Seeing the different styles of teaching in the same session was wonderful, as you said we can all learn something and adopt it within our own teaching. it was great to experience all the different objects that created deep discussions around them.