From the Margins – Day 1

My study on inclusive teaching and learning units has led me to introduce an artefact that consciously promotes teaching and learning. I say consciously because in an ideal world inclusive teaching and learning practice should be within our subconscious behaviour something we do naturally. However it is recognised that there is not an inclusive curriculum within some courses in some subjects. Follow some course leaders do try, more needs to be done. However the intervention is not only to address the fact that curricula may be inclusive, but also for me as a reflective and innovative teacher to be aware of and put into practice teaching where I consider everyone. Therefore my awareness of being an inclusive teacher or put into place inclusive practices is a positive start towards making a positive change within our education systems in the UK.

What I have learnt is that artefacts are often used within my teaching practice. This is something I did naturally in my teaching that has been realised through my study on this course. Artefacts can take the form of an objects lesson plan, PowerPoint presentation, reading list, image or film.

In this case students were shown the cast of ceramic lips. I had spent some time to plan this lesson to consider what my intended learning outcomes would be for the students. First of all I wanted students to look at themselves and their identity and to share this with their peers. I also wanted students to work in pairs or small groups to share ideas to collaborate. The arrangement of the tables were such that students were able to work in groups. The studio space is quite limited as students had their model set designs occupying a table. So this was a case of arranging the room so that the models sets students working on the position of the way safely. I retained the large table space as the previous session this had worked really well to encourage students to engage one another whilst they work. It was a good tool for communication and sharing ideas whilst working within their group or individual projects.

It was a good foundation to scaffold learning and critical thinking and awareness. This began with a focused study and detailed drawing of the shape of their lips.

The scaffolding began with students sharing with each other aspects of their identity through discussion based on a detailed observational drawing tasks of their lips. This individual work was a starting point to draw the students in to looking at themselves where they included 3-5 key words to describe themselves. They were paired with a partner that they would not normally sit with in the social context of friendship groups in the classroom that forced the students to discuss and find out more about their peers. This part of the exercise was interesting as students in their feedback had discovered something that they didn’t know about their peer. A discussion took place on areas where the students were from their interests, cultural background and religion.

When they were drawing I observed how they were doing this task I had set the criteria of producing a detailed line drawing of the lips as large for the page. I checked with the students they understood what the task was. This was clear I began to observe and guide students as they worked. It was clear to tell with some students I could make an assessment where some students were not as confident about producing observational drawing. I was able to support and guide to provide suggestions for observing and mark making paper.

This was a nice opening warm up task that led towards talking about voice and sharing a voice and the importance of them as designers that we working collaboratively in the future about having a voice this led seamlessly on to talk about marginalisation a keyword that I gave them to research and discuss. Students mind map ideas for marginalisation within the groups and those who are marginalised. Feedback discussions really open and honest and enlightening for all students and for myself it was a good way to witness learning.

Students in designated groups work together to discuss those that they consider to be marginalised. I had given them five minutes to discuss and put their answers on a Post-it note. Students from each group place the post it’s on the wall and then had a buildup of categories of marginalised people that covered age, race, gender, sex social status. This led students to produce a collage of one of the marginalised groups alongside a statement /manifesto to support the collage that considered marginalised groups of in theatre.

The learning outcome was that students presented their collage to present their chosen marginalised group. Marginalised groups referring to women in a male dominated patriarchal society was a common theme within the presentation. Students also discussed areas where people with social class and status meant that some art supplies groups were unable to access theatre. Overall many students were unaware of the word marginalisation. I had provided a reflection form for students to complete. This enabled them to reflect on their activities and what they have learnt and what they wish to investigate further.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *