Reflecting on my observation

Design and plan
I had planned a lesson using to deliver to 1st year BA Theatre design students. I had a peer observation. I had referred to the course handbook and a unit brief that the students were working on. This was the first day of a part of a two-day intervention for inclusive learning and teaching workshop. It fell in line with the curriculum to prepare the students been able to confidently plan and use their voice in preparation for their presentations of the theatre model sets.

This was helpful for me to consider the intended learning outcome what I wanted to students to gain and understand. I had designed a lesson to could consider critical thinking and awareness of marginalised groups. As emerging practitioners within theatre design, I want students to be aware of the world around them and to identify who are the marginalised the groups. Therefore, bring their interpretations of marginalisation within the context of theatre. I also design my lesson to include an artefact cast of ceramic lips as a starting point and referencing tool towards the theme and aims and objectives for the session. To do this I wanted the students to start by looking at themselves and their peers by producing and observational drawing of their lips. This was a warm up with regarding to using their voice which the lips represented symbolically however this enable students to in pairs discuss aspects of their identity with each other where each student had learnt something significant about the other that they later shared with the rest of the group.

I have discussed this in more detail please refer to this link:

From the Margins – Day 1

Support learning
I believe it’s important to develop a good rapport with the students I teach. During the past few sessions I have worked with the students and have learnt their names. I have found it beneficial to work with small tutorial groups where I can have more closer conversation finding out their interests and the likes and dislikes places like to go how they feel about being in London and general conversations about their well-being. We have discussed nutrition and exercise keeping yourself healthy while studying.

Prior to the lesson students had received an outline plan for the day. I had prepared a PowerPoint presentation that contains supportive keywords and explanations to the theme of marginalisation. This was to bear in mind students that may have a special educational need as well as international students where English is not the first language. Within the lesson the aims were discussed and that there is a clear set of objectives that students can see on the board. I indicated each stage of the task instructions so that students could refer to during the task where are like to have instructions for each task clearly identifiable to ensure that students so also understand the tasks ahead. Likewise, the plenary of what they have done in the lesson was linked to a series of questions. I had been aware that one of my students is autistic therefore I am considerate to maintain pace in my delivery of tasks and not to overcrowd my PowerPoint presentations with too much information on one slide. Students also had resource sheets and handouts detailing instructions and objectives for the activity. I had brought a bottle of water and cups so that students could keep themselves hydrated in the studio.

Assessment
Feedback students were given the opportunity to feedback at each stage of the scaffolding lesson. I was able to make an assessment formative from the questions and answers as well as speaking to the students individually and in groups. Within the intended learning outcomes, the planned set of activities, I can constructively align the assessment. The lesson was scaffold in a way that students would use their developed knowledge and artistic skill to present their findings and understanding of the theme of marginalisation. Importantly I was able to assess the individual work, their paired work and group work. Students were encouraged to feedback to each other after each presentation where they were able to demonstrate further the understanding of the theme through the debate and discussion. Students were provided with a reflected feedback that address the following questions:

1. What have I learned about yourself and your group from doing this activity?
  2. To what extent will this activity influence the way you tackle anything similar in future?
  3. What aspects in theatre would you change to make theatre more inclusive?
  4. Was the artefact useful for understanding the theme?

Checking.
I take a register of students on arrival to the session and make note of any latecomers and absentees. Before I begin with an activity I usually check the students understand the task but to not just ask whether they understand but by raising questions to check understanding of the task. An example of this is that I had students in each group to provide an example of a marginalised group. Students were able to do this successfully and therefore I could assess their understanding of the following task which was to prepare a collage focusing on a marginalised group. I like to move around the studio discussing with groups and individuals. With group work as a teacher I must be mindful that all students are participating and making good progress. Observing them as a group I can see how they share ideas for interact with each other. I also check the quality of the work, talk to them about their ideas and assess that students are on the right track.

Feedback
During the during the group presentations the students were able to feedback to each other. I was able to provide formative feedback at each stage of the process then overall holistic feedback. I provided the students with reflective feedback sheets and the opportunity to discuss on a Post-it one thing they have learnt and something there’d like to know more of. From this I was able to discover that most students had learnt the term marginalisation they were not familiar about and would want to investigate further the role as practitioners in theatre design. Some students wanted to focus more on equal opportunities for regarding people with disabilities and women within theatre. I also required feedback from my use of the artefact whether it was useful to have an object-based learning tool within the lesson. Students found it to be a good connective to understanding the theme.

Receiving feedback from my observation was helpful for me to understand my level of personal progress within teaching and learning. My feedback to was received as discussion and then in written format. Reflecting on the lesson able to discuss areas that went well I showed enthusiasm for the subject however I needed to project my voice more with confidence at the start of the lesson. It was a case of this improved during the lesson. I found that I was able to address late comer to the session more effectively by speaking with them once I had presented my introduction. I start by asking if they are okay first as I don’t how their morning may have been. I hand out brief instructions and explain the importance of the collaboration and time.