Teaching and Learning: Seminar One

This is to be our first seminar that reflected on the readings of both Monica Vilhauer’s Gadamer’s ‘Ethics of Play’ and Ian Munday.

I find it interesting to see how these philosophies came into effect through this seminar. The first being section 1 further into Gadamer’s notion of  notion of play.

Section 1

The first session started by having two sets of games. One was again using string where each participant would pass on a piece of string having answered the question as to form a physical and visual network of conversation between the group. I was involved with the cardplaying group where each turn of the playing card would have to answer a question posed by our peer in the group. The theme was based around Gadamer’s play and game. Interesting conversations arose from this active learning through game playing exercise. I felt quite satisfied having recognised understood this section based on my prior reading. This was really an engaging task which I consider to use within teaching and learning practice either as a lesson starter or introductory to a new project brief.

Section Two of Seminar1

this session to explore the issue of the student experience through the assessment and ranking of universities referring to the National student survey (NSS) and the Teaching Excellence Framework. It was interesting to see the historical and political aspects of that frames current issues of university status through such metrics.

Lindsey had explained in the session…Before, when students paid for their fees money would come directly from the government and that was differentiated in allocation of money according to subject. Arts and humanities courses were affordable to teach as they could access books from the library and so on. Science is a bit more expensive to teach and Creative Arts was even more as their expenses on spaces and resources materials et cetera. Then eventually the fee was introduced where students would pay thousand pounds for the course then it rose to £3000 and now it’s where it is today. This now has an effect on education sectors within the creative arts such as UAL that are heavily reliant on space and resources and require more funding. Special Institution Funding had been applied in the past and not knowing what the current state of play of receiving such funding is today.

Students are now officially considered as consumers of investing in their education and since 2014 covered by the consumer protection act. The focus on student satisfaction comes into play when shifting from private good to public good. Systems of measurement were introduced to ensure that students are making informed choices for courses the choosing however seen as essentially buying. This whole thing becomes quite political as a use of league tables suggest that students will use them to do the shopping of institutions they wish to be in. The suggestion then is that students will use the tables to determine which institutions they like to study in terms of ranking and categories that supports learning experience.

For University with a good classification of silver or gold obviously affects its overall national and international status. This date is also aligns itself with being forward thinking effective innovators in higher prospects of further funding.

So with the university ranking systems and classifications of gold silver and bronze the NSS becomes more important. Therefore, the pressures on institutions and eventually rolled down to teachers that there is a positive outcome from the NSS survey.

Ranking 2017

I am considering how this falls into Gabriel Marcel’s philosophy of being and having. What does it mean in terms of university status of being ranked gold or having such ranking status?

During the session we discussed issues of teachers encouraging and, in some cases, enforcing that students participate in the survey. However, you find that students who have a strong commentary on experience will use the NSS survey to express their feelings.

There is also a survey of recent graduates that I had received six months ago have been completed my MA fine art digital. The survey was to gauge what I was doing as postgraduate as well as to look at my cultural background race and gender and age.

Section 3
Values and Knowledge of our teaching practice

Last year the teaching excellence framework metric was introduced this was a new metric designed to measure the excellence of teaching. Within the session we worked collaboratively looking at aspects of good teaching and learning categorised within the teaching excellence framework.

We discussed our thoughts and feelings about what values are needed and wrote them down to later be shared with the rest of the group. I really enjoyed this part of the session using the TEF frame work as with our discussions.